Postgraduate research in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
The global significance of research in this area enables us to explore a vast range of specialist areas, which we can offer as supervision options to our postgraduate students.
A leading centre for research in modern languages, among the top universities in the UK.
View our range of programmes, and the support available for our postgraduate researchers.
- Latin American Cultural Studies MPhil
- Latin American Cultural Studies PhD
- Portuguese Studies MPhil
- Portuguese Studies PhD
- Spanish Studies MPhil
- Spanish Studies PhD
Our postgraduate research students benefit from supervision across a range of fields, covering a broad range of research specialisms in the Portuguese and Spanish-speaking world.
Our team's research interests include:
- Culture and language
- Gender, sexuality and race
- Early Medieval and the Golden Age
- Translation studies
- Interpreting studies
Here's what some of our current students are researching:
- Dylan Bradbury - 'Aural media as a Tool for the Consolidation of Identity: Mapuche Uses of Sound for Asserting Cultural and Territorial Autonomy'
- Taylor Elton - 'Manifestaciones through flamenco: How flamenco developed into a vehicle for political and social protest from the mid-twentieth century'
- Rodrigo Lopez Martinez - 'Literature, State, Nation: Poetics of Exile as Challenges to Latin-American National Literacy Tradition'
- Carole Myers - 'Representation, Reception and Appropriation of Ideal Female Beauty: Cosmetic Erasure of Blackness in Contemporary Brazil'
- Lisa Simpson - 'Non-Human Animals, Violence and Power in Brazilian Literature and Film 1960 to the Present Day'
Here are some themes that previous postgraduate research students have researched:
- Gabriel Neiva - 'The Literary Space of Guianas: The Topos of Kanaima in its Fictional Narratives'
- Mauricio S. Soares de Oliveira - 'The Construction of a City: Salvador in the Writings of Jorge Amado'
- Eleanor K. Jones - 'Out of the Iron House: Deconstructing Gender and Sexuality in Mozambican National Literature'.
- Xime Castillo-Smyntek - The Role of the Mass Media in Contemporary Chilean Film: The Video 'Panamericangea' by Jandy C.S.G'.
- Miquel Pomar-Amer - 'Diasporic Narratives of the Household: A Comparative Study of Writings by Catalan-Moroccan and British Pakistani Authors during the Last Decade'.
- Alina Rzepnikowska - 'Convivial Cultures in Multicultural Societies: Narratives of Polish Migrants in Britain and Spain'.
- Gustavo Carvajal - 'Palabra de mujer: Women, Memory and Dictatorship in Recent Chilean Fiction'.
- Nicola Astudillo-Jones - 'Film Festivals and Magical Realism in Manchester'.
- Kristina Pla Fernández - 'The Early Works of Bolaño and Vila-Matas: Alternatives to the 'Cultura de la transición''.
- Tamara De Inés Antón - 'Female Identity, Body and Sexuality through Literature and Translation: Contemporary Latin American Women's Narratives'.
- Maria Romero Caro - 'Peace Education in Colombia'.
- Suzan Bozkurt - 'Beyond the Mirror: Mechanisms of Transgressing the Canon in the Fiction of Contemporary Portuguese Women Writers (1980-2010).'
- Mary Farrelly - 'Infinite Elasticity: Mapping the Moving Spaces of Spanish Women's Enclosure.'
- Nicola Runciman - 'Post-National Landscapes of the Novísimo Cine Chileno'
- María Montt Strabucchi - 'Representations of China in Contemporary Latin American Literature'
- Nicola Tomlinson - 'Reel Regions: Mapping the Trajectories of the Cinema Industries in Catalonia and Andalusia post-2007'
Find out about the bursaries, scholarships and studentships available to support postgraduate research.
Information about applying for a postgraduate research degree in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures.
Our truly global unit specialises in Latin America and Africa, as well as the Iberian peninsula.
Enjoy state-of-the-art facilities with purpose-built rooms, resources and access to Manchester's internationally renowned cultural assets.
Home to our postgraduate student community, the Graduate School provides a place to meet, access resources and organise events.
Translation and Intercultural Studies
We offer postgraduate research supervision across our languages in collaboration with our Translation and Intercultural Studies experts.
Linguistics and English Language
Our vibrant Linguistics and English Language department offers postgraduate research opportunities in combination with other modern languages.