Gain a deeper understanding of mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the larger sinosphere through cutting-edge research and teaching.
Our innovative undergraduate and PGR (postgraduate research, or PhD) programmes in Chinese Studies focus on contemporary culture and society, history, language, media and visual arts.
Providing students with deep knowledge and rich experience of mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the larger Sinosphere. We deliver fresh insight into the importance of studying this cultural region through cutting-edge research and teaching.
You’ll have the opportunity to gain impressive fluency in the Chinese language and to learn about China’s rich past and complex present aided by experts on China from across the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures, the School of Social Sciences and the Alliance Manchester Business School.
Why Chinese Studies at Manchester?
- Become part of a close-knit and friendly academic community experience the diversity and expertise of our faculty.
- Learn from a team of dedicated language teachers, enjoy links with universities, students and scholars in China and around the globe.
- Access the world-famous John Rylands Library collection of Chinese materials.
- An interdisciplinary approach to teaching Chinese studies, under the direction of specialists in a broad range of fields including literature, art history, anthropology, history, politics and business.
- Manchester is home to a vibrant Chinatown situated right in the heart of the city, the renowned Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art, and annual large-scale Chinese New Year celebrations.
Find out more
Hear from staff and students about studying Chinese at The University of Manchester in the video below.
The University Language Centre is great for finding resources, such as Chinese language books, films and CDs, and it’s also possible to watch Chinese TV channels. The Confucius Institute, based in the University, also provides a number of resources and practice sessions for those extra-keen learners!Susannah Jones / BA (Hons) English Language and Chinese alumna
Take a closer look at our Chinese Studies courses at The University of Manchester.
Find out more about Chinese Studies research at The University of Manchester.
Find out more about Chinese Studies postgraduate research at The University of Manchester.