Postgraduate research in Chinese Studies
We offer a range of research specialisms in the study of modern and contemporary China and the larger sinosphere, and encourage an inter-disciplinary approach to research.
Home to branches of two of the world's most prestigious linguistic institutes: the Confucius Institute and the Goethe-Institut Examination Centre.
View our range of programmes, and the support available for our postgraduate researchers.
As a postgraduate research student in Chinese Studies, you will have access to supervisors who specialise in a broad range of topics related to modern and contemporary China.
Our supervisors and their specialisms can be found below.
Dr. Christopher N. Payne
Supervises research in:
- Modern and contemporary literary-cultural production in the sinosphere, particularly those that explore nonmainstream, nonhegemonic constructions of otherness;
- Ecocritical themes in sinophone cultural production;
- Visual arts in and across the Asian continent (including China, Japan, Korea, South and Southeast Asia).
Dr. Gregory Adam Scott
Supervises research in:
- Modern Chinese Buddhism;
- History of late-Imperial and modern China up to the 1960s, especially cultural, religious, ideological, social, and technological history;
- Digital Humanities
Here's what some of our current students are researching:
- Congshuo Li – “Revolutionary' and `Counter-Revolutionary': Modernist Women Writers in the Context of Revolutions’
- Yilong Liu – ‘Queer Films and Affect in Contemporary China'
Find out about the bursaries, scholarships and studentships available to support postgraduate research.
Information about applying for a postgraduate research degree in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures.
Our research spans transnational China, focusing on the modern and contemporary Chinese-speaking world.
Enjoy state-of-the-art facilities with purpose-built rooms, resources and access to Manchester's internationally renowned cultural assets.
Home to our postgraduate student community, the Graduate School provides a place to meet, access resources and organise events.
Translation and Intercultural Studies
We offer postgraduate research supervision across our languages in collaboration with our Translation and Intercultural Studies experts.
Linguistics and English Language
Our vibrant Linguistics and English Language department offers postgraduate research opportunities in combination with other modern languages.