Residence abroad

All of our Modern Languages degrees offer the opportunity to study and/or work for up to a year in a country or countries relevant to the degree programme.

You can study abroad at one of our many partner universities or languages schools where you can improve communicative language skills through focused learning in a native-speaker environment and develop a first-hand understanding of the history and culture of your host country or countries.

For up to date details on where you can study with your language(s), please email us at

If you are studying French, German Italian, Portuguese and/or Spanish, you also have the opportunity to work and/or volunteer abroad. As one of the most targeted universities by employers, we are always receiving details of exciting internship opportunities across the globe and, together with our award-winning Careers Service, we will help you at every stage of the application process.

Whether you hope to teach English with the British Council, gain experience at a fashion house in Paris or a top Spanish football club, you will be supported to find the right placement for you.

Our dedicated team of Residence Abroad staff have first-hand experience of the year abroad and the many opportunities and challenges it can bring.

We offer a wealth of resources to help with preparations including the School and University year abroad handbooks, an online resource area and a calendar of events where you will be able to speak to country specialists and hear all about our final year students' residence abroad experiences.

For students interested in our Flexible Honours scheme, if you choose to study a language as a Minor subject, you will have the opportunity to complete a placement over the summer vacation. The School also offers a grant of £600-£1,000 to help towards costs.

Whichever route you choose, a period of residence abroad can strengthen languages skills and employability in many ways and provide a valuable and inspirational life experience.