ULFR51040 - LEAP French 4 (B1/B2)
- Credits: 20
- Pre-requisite: Successful completion of ULFR51030 - LEAP French 3 (B1) or equivalent e.g. A-Level French grade D/C taken in the last three years.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure.
- Taught during: Both semesters (September to May).
- Level of attainment: (B1/B2) By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B1/B2 of the Common European Framework.
- Timetable: Click here
This course is for students who have successfully completed ULFR51030 - LEAP French 3 (B1) or equivalent and wish to take their French to the next level
The course offers the solid foundation required for achieving language competency with the use of complex grammatical structures of the French language and complex written and aural texts on both concrete and abstract topics.
The course covers an extensive range of vocabulary which will enable students to communicate with a degree of fluency both orally and in writing, and use language flexibly and effectively for social and professional purposes.
Communication skills will be developed including discussion, presentation skills and reporting skills. Students will also cover more aspects of the culture and current issues of the countries where the language is spoken.
The course may serve as preparation for the French Ministry of Education Diplôme d'Etudes en Langue Française - Niveau B2 (DELF B2) should high achieving students wish to sit for this internationally recognized qualification independently (this exam is not organised by LEAP).
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- demonstrate competency in understanding and knowledge of language structure grammatical rules;
- understand a wide variety of longer texts and conversations, and recognize implicit meaning;
- speak with a degree of competency and spontaneity and take an active part in discussions, also giving a presentation on a specialist subject, outlining advantages and disadvantages of particular cases;
- independently write short essays, reports and letters, putting forward personal points of view by using a variety of vocabulary and formulaic expressions and use the target language in a wide range of contexts.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B1/B2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, and cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hours or two 90 minutes seminars per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary.
This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and will be supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
72 hours (3 hours per week) including assessment time.
Independent study hours
140 hours (not including assessment time).
All assessments are summative.
Non-credit students and members of the public need to be aware that written exams will not take place during lesson time.
- Written exam; 30% weighting; held in university's semester 1 exam period in January
- Listening exam; 10% weighting; held in week 11
- Speaking exam; 30% weighting; held in week 12
- Written exam; 30% weighting; held in university's semester 2 exam period in May/June
Dates to be confirmed.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of informal ongoing feedback resulting from class-based learning activities and formal written feedback given following summative assessments.
23 per group
Le Nouvel Edito: Livre De L'Eleve B1 + CD + DVD, ISBN: 978-2278072699;
Le Nouvel Edito: Cahier B1, ISBN: 978-2278072804.
Textbook will be complemented by the course tutor with extra contents and resources in line with the CEF standards for this level.
Help yourself to advanced French Grammar, M. Ribière, and T. Marriot, Harrap (1998). ISBN: 0582329450.