Visiting scholars and instrumental teachers
Below you'll find a comprehensive list of distinguished visiting scholars and instrumental teachers.
Distinguished Honorary Scholars
- Sir Mark Elder, Honorary Professor
- Professor Gerald Bennett
- Dr Jeffrey Dean - Dr Dean’s research is focused on the theory and practice of music in the 15th and 16th centuries, especially sacred music in the period 1450-1550.
- Professor Edward Gregson - Internationally acclaimed composer and former principal of the Royal Northern College of Music.
- Professor Douglas Jarman - Formerly Professor in Musicology at the RNCM, he is one of the foremost scholars on the music of Alban Berg.
- Dr Rachel Swindells - Dr Swindells specialises in the music of West Java and holds the post of Gamelan & Community Projects Officer at the Hallé.
- John Turner - John Turner is an eminent recorder player and ensemble director, an important advocate of new music and an editor and publisher.
- Dr Colin Matthews O.B.E. - Dr Matthews is an internationally distinguished composer and currently holds the post of Composer in Association with the Hallé Orchestra in Manchester.
Comprehensive, professional-level teaching of instrumental and vocal music has always been a priority at the Department of Music at The University of Manchester.
Our teachers are highly active in Manchester’s vibrant music scene, performing with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Hallé Orchestra or Manchester Camerata, or following successful and prominent careers as freelance performers.
They are highly sought after as teachers, and many also teach at the Royal Northern College of Music.
Covering a vast range of expertise, from early music to the most cutting edge contemporary, from the concert hall to the jazz club, our specialists incorporate the widest possible variety of approaches in their teaching.
Following your audition in late September, we select the best teacher to suit your needs and aspirations.
Or if you prefer, we can set you up with a teacher of your choice, as agreed by an academic member of staff.
Please note, however, that we can only pay such teachers at the university’s standard rate; some teachers in the area charge substantially more, in which case you would need to make up the difference.
The University pays for 18 hours of instrumental or vocal tuition for all students taking performance in the first and second years and 20 hours of tuition for all third years taking a recital.
Although we only pay for tuition on one instrument, many students choose to study a second instrument, and we can help you set this up.
Opportunities also exist for conducting tuition with Mark Heron and Justin Doyle, and for chamber music coaching with members of the Quatuor Danel.
With so much going on we can advise you how to best balance your programme to accommodate the demands of learning music in the country's leading music department for musicology, composition and performance.
Many of our students go on to postgraduate study at various music colleges, and a good number now have successful professional careers in their own rights as performers.
BBC Phil = BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
Hallé = Hallé Orchestra
RLPO = Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
RNCM = Royal Northern College of Music
Chetham's = Chetham’s School of Music
- Victoria Daniel (BBC Phil)
- Laura Jellicoe (RNCM, Chetham's)
- Gavin Osborn (Trio Atem, contemporary specialist)
- Helen Wilson (Freelance performer (solo and orchestral), Tempest Flute Trio, also jazz flute)
- Matthew Jones (Chetham's)
- Melinda Maxwell (Endymion Ensemble, Birmingham Contemporary Music Group)
- Hugh McKenna (RNCM, Hallé)
- Alice Pullen (BBC Phil)
- Christine Swain (Northern Chamber Orchestra, freelance performer)
- Jill Allen (Freelance performer, esp. orchestral + Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and Ensemble 10 10)
- Liz Jordan (Principal clarinet in Northern Chamber Orchestra, freelance performer)
- Chris Swann (Principal clarinet in Sinfonia Viva, freelance performer)
- Tom Verity (RLPO, Sterling Trio, freelance performer)
- Graham Salvage (RNCM, Chetham’s, Hallé principal)
- John Turner (Freelance performer, contemporary specialist)
- Anthony Brown (successful soloist with pianist Leo Nicholson, also plays contemporary music, jazz)
- Rob Buckland (RNCM, Apollo Quartet)
- Ben Cottrell (Freelance performer, experimental music, contemporary)
- Carl Raven (RNCM, freelance performer, Apollo Saxophone Quartet, ‘House of Bedlam’ contemporary ensemble)
- Dicky Bourn (Hallé)
- Gary Farr (Remix Contemporary Music Ensemble, freelance performer)
- Jamie Prophet (BBC Phil principal)
- Phil Goodwin (Chetham's, Northern Chamber Orchestra, Psappha)
- Simon Powell (RLPO)
- Blair Sinclair (Opera North principal, freelance performer)
- Bill Millar (Freelance performer, Chetham's)
- Ewan Easton (RNCM, Hallé)
- Paul Patrick (RNCM, Chetham’s, BBC Phil principal)
- Eira Lynn Jones (RNCM, Chethams, orchestral freelancer, Aeolian flute and harp duo)
- Jamie Brewster (Bass guitar: jazz, contemporary)
- Johnny Heyes (Electric guitar, freelance performer)
- Rory Russell (Acoustic guitar, Aquarelle Quartet, freelance performer)
- Caroline Abbott (Hallé)
- Gemma Bass (BBC Phil)
- Julia Hanson (Manchester Camerata, Eroica String Quartet)
- Louise Latham (Freelance performer)
- Jonathan Martindale (Freelance performer as soloist and orchestral, Eblana String Trio)
- Sarah Brandwood-Spencer (Hallé Orchestra, freelance performer)
- David Aspin (RNCM, Chroma Ensemble, Psappha)
- Lucy Nolan (Freelance performer)
- Heather Bills (Pleyel Ensemble, freelance performer)
- Jennifer Langridge (BBC Phil, Psappha)
- Clare Rowe (Hallé, Epsilon String Quartet))
- Simon Turner (Hallé leader)
- Michael Escreet (Former BBC Phil principal, freelance performer)
- Richard Casey (Pianist of Psappha, contemporary music specialist)
- John Gough (RNCM, freelance performer)
- Duncan Glenday (Junior RNCM, freelance performer)
- Hazel Fanning (Chetham’s, junior RNCM)
- Manola Hatfield (Junior RNCM)
- Valerie Langfield (Freelance performer, accompanist)
- Tom Scott (Freelance performer, multimedia composer)
- Andrew Wilde (Freelance performer)
- Les Chisnall (Chetham’s, jazz piano)
- David Francis (Freelance performer)
- Simon Passmore (St Ann's Church)
- Laurie Ashworth (Opera singer, recitalist)
- Martin Bussey (Singer, composer, director of Chester Bach Singers)
- Andrew Heggie (Freelance baritone, teaches all styles)
- Emily Howard Cobley (Director of Manchester Opera Project, specialises in opera and contemporary)
- Sally Johnson (Freelance soprano, experienced opera, oratorio, recital, musical theatre, teaches all styles)
- Catherine Mikic (Trinity College, former opera singer, teaches all styles)
- Deborah Rees (RNCM vocal soloist, experienced opera singer)
- Richard Strivens (Bass baritone, teaches all styles)
- Robert Szymanek
- Ros Hawley, Richard Fay