Careers and employability
A history degree from the University of Manchester helps to put you on the path of career success.
- a state-of-the-art advisory and peer-mentoring programme;
- a vibrant History Society that organises a diverse calendar of events;
- dedicated teaching and administrative staff.
Your future matters to us. We work closely with the Careers Service to make sure History students are offered the training and support they need to enter the job market and we invite successful history graduates from a range of careers, such as media and law, to talk to current students about their path to success.
A history degree is very well regarded with employers because it gives you outstanding skills of analysis and critical thinking.
Career paths and further study
Many of our graduates go on to undertake further study such as Masters and PhDs, PGCEs or a law conversion course before taking up their careers.
Our alumni are currently working in the following fields:
- Media - we have well established links with the BBC
- Graduate trainee programmes including the Civil Service fast stream
- Culture heritage institutions such as museums, libraries, archives
- Teaching and education
- Academic teaching and research
We caught up with some of our History alumni to find out how their studies prepared them professional life, both in and out of the historical sector.
History at Manchester has a world class reputation. My degree enabled me to explore and discover a wide array of areas of interest and it galvanised and aided my decision to enter into the legal profession. Manchester is an amazing city to be a student.Darwood Pervez / Director and company secretary, Bestway Group