Why study here?
With a long tradition of developing the way history is taught, and an innovative approach to teaching, Manchester is the perfect place to study History.
At any one time, there are roughly 750 undergraduates taking History, enjoying a learning experience of the highest quality.
Our courses cover almost all human history, including British, European, American, Asian and African history, and range from the classical era (Greece and Rome), through the medieval and modern periods, to the late 20th century. We offer a variety of approaches to history, from political and economic history, to gender, social, cultural, and colonial history.
You’ll experience an exciting learning environment, teaching from committed and passionate experts who embrace dynamic and forward-thinking strategies to enhance learning. This is shown in our consistently high satisfaction ratings in the National Student Survey.
- A breadth of specialisms and diverse, cutting-edge course content.
- Innovative use of e-learning and online resources to support your studies.
- Get involved in activities, such as playing a role in the Manchester Histories Festival.
- Unique opportunities to explore special archived material.
- Exclusive access to the internationally significant holdings of University-owned institutions.
- Create a personalised portfolio of course units from our wide range of MA taught courses.
Introduction to History
Get an introduction to History at The University of Manchester from staff and students, and find out more about the subject by watching the video below.
The University of Manchester is well respected and so holds a lot of weight when applying for jobs. Studying History provided me with strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate effectively. The people are great, the nightlife is great and it’s a very stimulating and fun place to go to University.Amy Sippitt / Writer/Researcher, BA (Hons) Politics and Modern History alumna
Find out more about our History courses and discover what it takes to become a student here.
Explore a wealth of archives, libraries, museums and other research institutions in Manchester and beyond.
Explore careers and employability options after studying History at Manchester.