Why study here?
Home to an internationally renowned creative scene, Manchester is the perfect place to discover all aspects of art history.
One in 11 jobs, or 8.8% of all UK jobs now fall within the creative economy, and one in six of all UK graduate jobs are also creative economy positions.
Studying art is one of the key ways in which we interpret and understand the past. Seeking to discover how art has helped people to both define and reflect their place in the world offers a unique insight into how visual culture is intrinsic to the shape of the world in which we live today.
Throughout your course, you’ll explore subjects, objects and texts from different cultures and different historical periods, taught by art historians who are leaders in their field.
- Enhance your employability with placements and volunteering at the University’s own gallery.
- Funded study trips in the UK and to overseas destinations such as Paris, Berlin or Rome.
- Two students per year gain access to summer internships in Venice.
- Explore internationally significant special collections as part of your studies.
- Access to major arts destinations containing exclusive works.
- Become the best you can be by participating in Stellify for true personal and professional growth.
Careers and employability
Study Art History at Manchester and you will develop both intellectual and practical skills that can be applied to a variety of careers and industries.
The University of Manchester is also the most targeted university in the UK for top graduate employers, according to High Fliers Research.
Learn more on the Careers and employability page.
What impressed me most about studying here is the amount and quality of support that the staff provided throughout my course. Whether you go to see them about personal or academic issues, they always have time for you.Michaela Blackburn / BA (Hons) History of Art
Find out more about our Art History courses and discover what it takes to become a student here.
Explore the facilities available to you during your Art History degree.
Explore careers and employability options after studying Art History at Manchester.