Why study here?
Explore the ways in which English dialects differ, how children learn language, how languages arise, how they change and so much more.
You'll be studying at one of the UK's top four institutions for linguistics.The Complete University Guide 2020
Linguistics is the ideal subject for analytical minds. You will delve into the science of language - an everyday phenomenon which impacts our lives on an individual and a global scale. English Language covers the history of the English language and the variation between English dialects in the UK and further afield.
Linguistics and English Language at The University of Manchester is unrivalled in its exceptional breadth of subject areas and theoretical approaches.
We are ranked in The Complete University Guide 2019 top 10 universities for Linguistics in the UK.
- Access cutting-edge resources, including one of the largest holdings of linguistics texts in the UK.
- Conduct research using English manuscripts held in our prestigious Special Collections.
- Work in close collaboration with internationally renowned experts.
- Conduct fieldwork and analyse linguistic corpora.
- Study in the most linguistically diverse city in Western Europe – home to over 150 languages.
- Specialist master's exploring the full breadth and depth of linguistic theory.
- Become the best you can be by participating in Stellify for true personal and professional growth.
Careers and employability
Study Linguistics and English Language at Manchester and you will develop a range of analytical and problem-solving skills that can be applied to many careers.
The University of Manchester is also the most targeted university in the UK for top graduate employers, according to High Fliers Research.
Find out more on the Careers and employability page.
More about Linguistics and English Language
Watch the video below and find out more about Linguistics and English Language from the staff and students directly.
Except for a few compulsory modules, the course design is really flexible, and you can therefore pick the modules which interest you most, ranging from studying the old English language to the different dialects of English in the UK today.Alex Flowers / BA (Hons) English Language
Browse the full range of Linguistics and English Language courses and find out how to apply to study at Manchester.
Find out more about our labs and cutting edge resources that students and staff have access to.
Explore careers and employability options after studying Linguistics and English Language at Manchester.