Current PhD students
Postgraduate research students in American Studies work on a wide range of topics. Here's an indication of some of the work going on.
- Heena Hussain - 'Liberal Imperialism in post 9/11 Hollywood fantasy films'
- Magdalena Müllerová - 'African American Women and the Frontier Myth in the 20th Century'
- Ian Pemberton - 'Arab Malaise: How America's Oil Empire has Transformed the Middle East'
- Jonathan Pountney - 'Race, Region and Class in the Fiction of Raymond Carver, Richard Ford and Tobias Wolff'
- Naomi Sutton - 'How Hollywood Became the Bad Guy: The role of the Hollywood Left in the Politics of the Establishment (1980-1989)'
- Samson Thoburn - 'New Negroes in Detroit: Boomtown Black Identity and the Trials of Ossian Sweet'
- Stevie Watson - 'Locating George Herriman's Krazy Kat in American Modernism'
- Bruce Wilkinson - 'Conspirators in the Aesthetics of Obscenity'