Find out about the people that make up our Religions and Theology department.
We have one of the UK's highest international reputations for research.
You'll be taught by scholars of international standing who are linguists, anthropologists, theologians of several religions, philosophers, historians, and critical theorists.
Head of department
Professor Peter Oakes
Professor of New Testament
Research interests: New Testament in the Graeco-Roman world, Paul's letters and theology, diversity among NT audiences, archaeology, economics.
Dr Ketan Alder
Lecturer in Religions and Theology
Research interests: Hinduism, subaltern engagement with 'religious' activism, nationalism and dialogue in Indian religious traditions, secularism in south Asia, faith and modernity, race, gender, globalisation, and their intersections, religions and ethnicity in south Asian diaspora contexts.
Dr Andrew Boakye
Lecturer in Religions and Theology and Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
Research interests: Pauline theology, Pauline Christology, Abraham, the use of the Hebrew Bible in the New Testament, revivification in Jewish texts, identity construction in ancient Christianity.
Dr Michael Hoelzl
Senior Lecturer in Political Philosophy and Religion and MA/PhD Programme Director
Research interests: social ethics, political theology, philosophy of law with an emphasis on Schmittian studies, theories of secularisation, and the new visibility of religion.
Dr Kamran Karimullah
Lecturer in Islamic Medicine and Philosophy
Research interests: medieval Arabo-Islamic philosophy, ancient and medieval medicine, Graeco-Arabic studies, corpus linguistics, translation studies.
Dr Todd Klutz
Senior Lecturer in Biblical Studies and Early Christian Literature, and Examinations and Assessment Co-ordinator
Research interests: Biblical literature and ethics, 'magic' and shamanism in the biblical world, Luke-Acts, 'Gnosticism' in antiquity and its return in modernity, the Nag Hammadi library, Hellenistic Greek, method and theory in the study of religion.
Professor Daniel Langton
Professor of Jewish History and co-director, Centre for Jewish Studies
Research interests: Jewish history, Jewish-Christian dialogue, Jewish New Testament studies, Reform Judaism, Israel and Zionism, Holocaust Theology, and Jewish religious engagement with Darwinism and with Atheism.
Professor David R Law
Professor of Christian Thought and Philosophical Theology, Research Officer and UOA Lead
Research interests: existentialism, hermeneutics, theories of biblical inspiration, kenotic theology, Anglican theology, 19th and 20th century German theology, theology and film, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Jaspers.
Dr Scott Midson
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Lincoln Theological Institute) and Senior Tutor
Research interests: posthumanism, theological anthropology, philosophy and theology of artificial intelligence, science and technology studies, secularisation and the sociology of religion, postmodernism, Christian ethics, new media, ecotheology.
Dr Holly Morse
Lecturer in Bible, Gender and Culture and Undergraduate Programme Director
Research interests: the Hebrew Bible, gender criticism, feminist criticism, visual arts, female biblical interpretation, reception theory, critical theory, hermeneutics.
Professor Alexander Samely
Professor of Jewish Thought
Research interests: literary structures in ancient Jewish literature, including biblical and Talmudic literature; ancient Jewish Bible interpretation, including Midrash, Targum, Pesher and rewritten scripture; the legal discourse of Talmudic literature; the philosophical thought of Spinoza, Husserl, Rosenzweig, Buber and Levinas; theories of reading Hebrew manuscripts; the phenomenology of reading.
Professor Peter Manley Scott
Samuel Ferguson Professor of Applied Theology and Director, Lincoln Theological Institute
Research interests: Political and liberation theologies, theology of nature/doctrine of creation, theologies and philosophies of technology, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Marxism.
Dr Stefania Silvestri
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Research interests: Hebrew codicology and palaeography, history of the book, Jewish cultural heritage.
Dr Katja Stuerzenhofecker
Lecturer in Gender Studies in Religion
Research interests: Gender issues in contemporary Christian and Jewish practices and their relation to thought and tradition. Teaching and learning in higher education, with special interest in the study of contemporary religion.
Professor Alan Williams
Professor of Iranian Studies and Comparative Religion
Research interests: Persianate/Iranian cultural and historical studies, the creation and intensification of meaning in texts and other ritualised contexts, exegesis using historical, literary/linguistic and anthropological theory, Zoroastrian religion of ancient and medieval Iran, the Qesse-ye Sanjān, the mystical literature of 13th century Iran, the application of translation theory to the Study of Religion, Jalaloddin Rumi.
Lecturers from other departments
- Dr Sebastien Bachelet - Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Erica Baffelli - Senior Lecturer in Japanese Studies
- Dr Moshe Behar - Pears Senior Lecturer In Israeli and Middle Eastern Studies
- Dr Rupert Cox - Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Prof Penny Harvey - Director of CRESC, Professor of Social Anthropology
- Dr Stef Jansen - Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Jean-Marc Dreyfus - Reader in Holocaust Studies
- Dr Dalia Mostafa - Lecturer in Arabic and Comparative Literature
- Dr Madeleine Reeves - Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Prof Zahia Salhi - Professor of Modern Arabic Studies
- Dr Gregory Adam Scott - Lecturer in Chinese Studies
- Dr Olga Ulturgasheva - Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Soumhya Venkatesan - Senior Lecturer In Social Anthropology
- Dr Tom Woerner-Powell - Lecturer in Modern Islam
- Prof Philip Alexander - Emeritus Professor of Post-Biblical Jewish Studies
- Prof George Brooke - Emeritus Rylands Professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis
- Prof Bernard Jackson - Emeritus Alliance Professor of Modern Jewish Studies
Honorary research fellows
- Prof Loveday Alexander – New Testament
- Revd Dr Martin John Broadley – Church History
- Dr Kent Brower – New Testament
- Dr Stephen Barton – New Testament
- Dr Maria Cioată – Jewish Studies
- Dr Matthew Collins – Hebrew Bible
- Dr Adrian Curtis - Hebrew Bible
- Revd F Gerald Downing – New Testament
- Rabbi Dr Michael Hilton - Jewish Studies
- Revd Canon Dr David Holgate – Christian Theology
- Dr Walter Houston - Hebrew Bible
- Dr Gergely Juhasz – Church History
- Dr Katharina Keim – Jewish Studies
- Dr Dominika Kurek-Chomycz – New Testament
- Dr David Lamb – New Testament
- Prof Paul Middleton – New Testament
- Prof Mary Mills – Hebrew Bible
- Dr Peter Nockles - Church History
- Dr Ion Popa - Holocaust Studies
- Revd Canon Prof John Rodwell - Christian Theology
- Rabbi Dr Reuven Silverman - Jewish Studies
- Dr Jacqueline Suthren Hirst - South Asian Studies
- Dr Dwight Swanson – Biblical Studies
- Rt Revd Dr David Walker - Christian Theology
- Dr John Zavos - South Asian Studies
Professional support staff
- Gemma McCabe - Undergraduate Programme Administrator