ULKR51010 LEAP Korean 1 (A1)
Please note course unit descriptor is subject to change. Enrolled students will be notified of any changes before teaching begins
- Credits: 20
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to all students except Korean
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners. It is designed for those who wish to attain a basic understanding of the Korean language covering four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. It aims to introduce students to the Korean characters, the basic language structure and the basics of Korean grammar. Students will also acquire limited vocabulary to be able to read simple texts and conduct basic conversation in key areas of everyday communication. The course provides students with a solid foundation for further language learning.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- handle some of the basic grammatical structures of Korean;
- understand and read, some familiar and daily expressions used in common everyday situations and write very simple messages;
- communicate orally at a basic level in a limited number of common everyday situations;
- have some understanding and knowledge of Korean life and culture.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and teamwork, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and will be supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Week 12- Written Exam 30%
- Semester two: Week 11- Listening 10% & Written Exam 30%; Week 12 - Oral Exam 30%
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of: informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities; formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Dr Orieb Masadeh-Tate
20 per group
New Easy Korean 1A ISBN : 9788955189957. Published by Hangeul Park.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and employability. It will help prepare you for travelling to and working in Korea.