MA Screenwriting / Application and selection
Year of entry: 2018
How to apply
Please refer to the following School page regarding subject-specific requirements. These are in addition to the basic prerequisites as shown under entry requirements:
For references, please email the following link to your referees:
They will submit your references directly to us and we will add them to your application.
Please use the Online Application Form to apply. Once you register, you can search for the course to which you wish to apply and upload the required supporting documents towards the end of this process.
Advice to applicants
Please note that this course teaches during business hours and does not offer distance learning.
The part-time mode of attendance aims to concentrate contact time onto two days.
How your application is considered
Applications are mainly considered on the basis of an assessment of past and predicted academic achievements, the academic reference(s) and any other supplementary evidence that supports the application.
We therefore strongly recommend you include a personal statement (no more than 500 words) that demonstrates your understanding of the subject and your motivation for wanting to study the programme.
If your academic background is not directly related to the programme, you should supply an academic-standard writing sample on a subject related to the programme.
If English is not your native language, then you should provide an academic-standard writing sample in English directly related to the subject.
For the specific requirements of each programme in the School, please visit our Applying page.
Overseas (non-UK) applicants
If English is not your first language, please provide us with evidence of:
- an overall grade 7.0 (with a minimum writing score of 7) in IELTS; or
- 100+ in the IBT Internet-based TOEFL).
The other language tests we accept can be found here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf
Exceptions to needing a language test (if English is NOT your first language) are:
- if you have successfully completed an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a UK Bachelors Degree or higher from one of the following countries:
Antigua & Barbuda; Australia; Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; UK; USA.
Applicants should submit:
1. Three original ideas for film(s) or TV Drama Series (each 1 or 2 pages long).
Applicants should include the title of film and a logline describing it for the poster; where the film is set; when the film is set (e.g. contemporary/period); what genre the film is. (eg Drama/Comedy/Sci-Fi) and what it is about thematically.
2. One A4 page on why you want to do the MA including references to films and TV series that have influenced and interested you.
3. A separate writing sample (no less than 10 pages of screenplay format) to demonstrate that you can write dramatic scenes and dialogue. This writing sample could be a screenplay draft of one of the ideas you are applying with, or of another screenplay, theatre play, TV/radio drama, short film. It should demonstrate your potential and your ability to create characters, lively dialogue and tell a story dramatically.
4. CV / biography.
If you have any questions about portfolio requirements please contact us .