The 55th Annual Conference of the Royal Musical Association will be hosted jointly by the Royal Northern College of Music and the University of Manchester, between Wednesday 11 and Friday 13 September 2019.
Please be aware that all participants are required to register and pay the applicable conference fee. In order to minimise the potential for the disruption caused by late withdrawals, the registration deadline for those presenting papers was the close of early-bird registration on 2 August 2019 so has now passed.
Registration rates are confirmed as the following:
Registration rates for RMA members only
|Early Bird Rates (now closed: available until 2 August 2019)|
|RMA members (standard membership)||£60|
|RMA members (students, unwaged, retired)||£30|
|Standard Rates (available from 3 August to 2 September 2019)|
|RMA members (standard membership)||£75|
|RMA members (students, unwaged, retired)||£40|
|Late Registration Rates (available from 3 to 10 September 2019)|
|RMA members (standard membership)||£90|
|RMA members (students, unwaged, retired)||£45|
Registration rates for non-RMA members
|Non-RMA members (standard)||£90|
|Non-RMA members (students, unwaged, retired)||£45|
RMA members will be required as part of the registration process to enter the promotional code issued to them by the RMA. This code is sent by email to all registered members, and can also be found on the RMA members' login page.
You do not have to be an RMA member to give a paper or attend the conference, but members are entitled to preferential registration rates, as well as free hard-copy and online access to the Journal of the Royal Musical Association and the RMA Research Chronicle, exclusive discounts on a wide range of publishers' books, professional news and views in the monthly e-bulletin and twice-yearly printed newsletter, and much more besides.
If you are not already enjoying the many benefits of RMA membership, you can easily join by visiting the RMA website.
- A buffet lunch will be available on each of the three days of the conference, served in the foyer of the RNCM, at a cost of £12.50 per delegate each day.
- The conference dinner will be hosted by the RNCM at 8pm on Thursday 12 September, at a cost of £30.00 per delegate. Please note that registration for the dinner has now reached full capacity so we are unable to take further bookings.
We are also proud to be hosting a number of events during the conference to celebrate Manchester's vibrant and diverse musical culture, including:
- A musical wellbeing event – Feel-good Singing – in the John Thaw Studio Theatre, University of Manchester, on the evening of Wednesday 11 September.
- A free concert given by the Jordanian–Palestinian pianist Iyad Sughayer, a participant in the RNCM’s prestigious International Artist Diploma programme, to be held on the evening of Thursday 12 September.
- An opportunity for delegates to attend a BBC Philharmonic rehearsal and tour of the studios at MediaCity, Salford on Friday 13 September. Please note that numbers are strictly limited to 24 delegates, and all places have now been allocated.
Full details are given on our Events page.
The registration fee includes entry to all conference sessions and student training sessions, morning and afternoon refreshments, attendance at the two evening receptions and a lunchtime concert, and options to reserve a place at the wellbeing event, to book a ticket for the RNCM Artist Diploma Concert, to book to attend the BBC Philharmonic rehearsal, and/or to book a Sonic Walk in Manchester.
How to book
For the main registration process, please visit our Online Store, where you will be able to:
- Register for the conference
- Book lunches
- Book to attend the conference dinner (fully booked: no further bookings able to be accepted)
- Reserve a place at the wellbeing event Feel-good Singing (free)
- Reserve a ticket for the RNCM International Artist Diploma Concert (free)
- Book to attend the BBC Philharmonic rehearsal and tour (fully booked: no further bookings able to be accepted)
- Book a Sonic Walk in Manchester (free)
Details for booking accommodation online through our official accommodation provider can be found on the Accommodation page.
If you are attending the conference dinner, please ensure you select your menu choices by 10 September 2019 by completing our online survey.
If you experience difficulties with any of your bookings, please contact RMA2019@manchester.ac.uk for assistance.