We are involved in a variety of events and activities that connect our department with the greater Manchester community and beyond.
Below you will find a few recent community engagement highlights in relation to American Studies.
Dr. Monica Pearl has been involved with a number of engagement activities, including:
- Leading a monthly public reading group at the LGBT Foundation.
- Leading the post-show discussion of Kate O’Donnell’s Big Girl’s Blouse, an event which was part of the Homotopia Arts Festival in Liverpool in November 2015.
- Leading the post-show discussion of Contact Young Company’s Under the Covers for a sold-out audience, an event held at Contact Theatre in October 2015 and co-sponsored by the Wellcome Trust Institute of Sexology.
- Leading the post-show discussion of Debs Gatenby, A Place Called Happiness, Queer Contact Festival 2016.
- Speaking on a panel at the Queering Psychoanalysis Workshop, Centre for the Study of Sexuality and Culture and Manchester Feminist Theory Network, 12 February 2016.
- Speaking on the "Hot Sex Time Machine" panel considering the 1985 films My Beautiful Laundrette, Desert Hearts, and Nine and a Half Weeks, Humanities in Public Sex series, Manchester Metropolitan University, 5 March 2016.
- Leading the post-show discussion for Louise Wallwein's solo show Glue at Contact Theatre's Flying Solo show, 10-11 May.
- Reading from her chapter in the edited collection Fear Eats the Soul as part of the Imitation of Life exhibition at HOME.
- Leading the post-show discussion for Penny Arcade's show Longing Lasts Longer, Thursday, 26 May.
Dr Doug Field has been involved with a number of engagement activities, including:
- Co-organised an Arts Council-funded event in October 2015 at The Wonder Inn, Manchester: #WeAreAfroleft - a Northern Soul Powerhouse 2-day Northern Quarter “Unconference” featuring the first ever Afrofutures UK. The event included live music, DJs, film and spoken word events & artist commissions, and was put on with a variety of industry network partners and supporters (among them The White Room, Northern Soho, Design Manchester festival and Manchester Craft and Design Centre).
- Was featured on BBC Radio 4’s Great Lives, which first aired 22 December 2015.
More information related to our engagement activities.