Find out about the people that make up our Religions and Theology department.
We have one of the UK's highest international reputations for research.
You'll be taught by scholars of international standing who are linguists, anthropologists, theologians of several religions, philosophers, historians, and critical theorists.
Head of department
Professor Daniel Langton
Professor of Jewish History, Co-director for the Centre for Jewish Studies, Co-ordinator of joint degree in Philosophy and Religion, and Co-director of Rothschild Hub
Research interests: Jewish history, Jewish-Christian dialogue, Jewish New Testament studies, Reform Judaism, Israel and Zionism, Holocaust Theology, and Jewish religious engagement with Darwinism and with Atheism.
Dr Ketan Alder
Lecturer in Religions and Theology, Undergraduate Programme Director and co-ordinator of joint degree in Comparative Religion and Social Anthropology
Research interests: Hinduism, subaltern engagement with 'religious' activism, nationalism and dialogue in Indian religious traditions, secularism in south Asia, faith and modernity, race, gender, globalisation, and their intersections, religions and ethnicity in south Asian diaspora contexts.
Dr Andrew Boakye
Lecturer in Religions and Theology, Undergraduate Admissions Tutor and Chair of Religions and Theology Research Seminar
Research interests: Pauline theology, Pauline Christology, Abraham, the use of the Hebrew Bible in the New Testament, revivification in Jewish texts, identity construction in ancient Christianity.
Dr Michael Hoelzl
Senior Lecturer in Political Philosophy and Religion, OxNet Coordinator and MA Program Director
Research interests: social ethics, political theology, philosophy of law with an emphasis on Schmittian studies, theories of secularisation, and the new visibility of religion.
Dr Kamran Karimullah
Lecturer in Islamic Thought, Senior Tutor and Academic Exchange Advisor
Research interests: medieval Arabo-Islamic philosophy, ancient and medieval medicine, Graeco-Arabic studies, corpus linguistics, translation studies.
Dr Todd Klutz
Senior Lecturer in Biblical Studies and Early Christian Literature, Examinations and Assessment Co-ordinator and Departmental Representative for SALC Ethics Committee
Research interests: Biblical literature and ethics, 'magic' and shamanism in the biblical world, Luke-Acts, 'Gnosticism' in antiquity and its return in modernity, the Nag Hammadi library, Hellenistic Greek, method and theory in the study of religion.
Professor David R Law
Professor of Christian Thought and Philosophical Theology, Director of Postgraduate Research, TEF Lead and NW Consortium Lead
Research interests: existentialism, hermeneutics, theories of biblical inspiration, kenotic theology, Anglican theology, 19th and 20th century German theology, theology and film, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Jaspers.
Dr Scott Midson
Lecturer in Liberal Arts and Coordinator of Liberal Arts Programme
Research interests: posthumanism, theological anthropology, philosophy and theology of artificial intelligence, science and technology studies, secularisation and the sociology of religion, postmodernism, Christian ethics, new media, ecotheology.
Dr Holly Morse
Lecturer in Bible, Gender and Culture and SALC Associate Director for Academic Advising and Employability
Research interests: the Hebrew Bible, gender criticism, feminist criticism, visual arts, female biblical interpretation, reception theory, critical theory, hermeneutics.
Professor Peter Oakes
Rylands Professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis
Research interests: New Testament in the Graeco-Roman world, Paul's letters and theology, diversity among NT audiences, archaeology, economics.
Dr Clare Radford
Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Lincoln Theological Institute.
Research interests: practical theology; feminist theologies; disability theologies; postcolonial theologies; qualitative and creative methodology and methods; socio-economic inequality.
Professor Alexander Samely
Professor of Jewish Thought and Research Officer
Research interests: literary structures in ancient Jewish literature, including biblical and Talmudic literature; ancient Jewish Bible interpretation, including Midrash, Targum, Pesher and rewritten scripture; the legal discourse of Talmudic literature; the philosophical thought of Spinoza, Husserl, Rosenzweig, Buber and Levinas; theories of reading Hebrew manuscripts; the phenomenology of reading.
Professor Peter Manley Scott
Samuel Ferguson Professor of Applied Theology and Director, Lincoln Theological Institute
Research interests: Political and liberation theologies, theology of nature/doctrine of creation, theologies and philosophies of technology, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Marxism.
Dr Stefania Silvestri
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Research interests: Hebrew codicology and palaeography, history of the book, Jewish cultural heritage.
Dr Katja Stuerzenhofecker
Lecturer in Gender Studies in Religion
Research interests: Gender issues in contemporary Christian and Jewish practices and their relation to thought and tradition. Teaching and learning in higher education, with special interest in the study of contemporary religion.
Dr Lindsey Taylor-Guthartz
Rothschild Foundation Europe Postdoctoral Fellow for 2020-22
Research interests: The changing role of women in modern Judaism; Jewish textual literacy; Jewish and Muslim legal cultures; gender and cultural transmission processes; the history and influence of Limmud on Jewish communities worldwide; the interrelation of 'elite' and 'folk' culture; scriptural reasoning.
Professor Alan Williams
Professor of Iranian Studies and Comparative Religion
Research interests: Persianate/Iranian cultural and historical studies, the creation and intensification of meaning in texts and other ritualised contexts, exegesis using historical, literary/linguistic and anthropological theory, Zoroastrian religion of ancient and medieval Iran, the Qesse-ye Sanjān, the mystical literature of 13th century Iran, the application of translation theory to the Study of Religion, Jalaloddin Rumi.
Lecturers from other departments
- Dr Sebastien Bachelet - Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Erica Baffelli - Senior Lecturer in Japanese Studies
- Dr Moshe Behar - Pears Senior Lecturer In Israeli and Middle Eastern Studies
- Dr Rupert Cox - Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Jean-Marc Dreyfus - Reader in Holocaust Studies
- Prof Penny Harvey - Director of CRESC, Professor of Social Anthropology
- Dr Stef Jansen - Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Grigory Kessel - Research Fellow, The John Rylands Research Institute and Library
- Dr Dalia Mostafa - Lecturer in Arabic and Comparative Literature
- Dr Madeleine Reeves - Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Prof Zahia Salhi - Professor of Modern Arabic Studies
- Dr Gregory Adam Scott - Lecturer in Chinese Studies
- Dr Olga Ulturgasheva - Lecturer in Social Anthropology
- Dr Soumhya Venkatesan - Senior Lecturer In Social Anthropology
- Dr Tom Woerner-Powell - Lecturer in Modern Islam
- Prof Philip Alexander - Emeritus Professor of Post-Biblical Jewish Studies
- Prof George Brooke - Emeritus Rylands Professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis
- Prof Bernard Jackson - Emeritus Alliance Professor of Modern Jewish Studies
Honorary research fellows
- Dr Kent Brower – New Testament
- Dr Stephen Barton – New Testament
- Prof Youssef Choueiri - Islamic History
- Dr Maria Cioată – Jewish Studies
- Dr Matthew Collins – Hebrew Bible
- Dr Adrian Curtis - Hebrew Bible
- Revd F Gerald Downing – New Testament
- Dr Geordan Hammond - Church History
- Rabbi Dr Michael Hilton - Jewish Studies
- Revd Canon Dr David Holgate – Christian Theology
- Dr Walter Houston - Hebrew Bible
- Dr Helen R Jacobus - Dead Sea Scrolls
- Dr Gergely Juhasz – Church History
- Dr Katharina Keim – Jewish Studies
- Dr Dominika Kurek-Chomycz – New Testament
- Dr Tony Kushner - Jewish History
- Dr David Lamb – New Testament
- Prof Paul Middleton – New Testament
- Prof Mary Mills – Hebrew Bible
- Dr Peter Nockles - Church History
- Dr Ion Popa - Holocaust Studies
- Revd Canon Prof John Rodwell - Christian Theology
- Rabbi Dr Reuven Silverman - Jewish Studies
- Dr Jacqueline Suthren Hirst - South Asian Studies
- Dr Dwight Swanson – Biblical Studies
- Rt Revd Dr David Walker - Christian Theology
- Dr John Zavos - South Asian Studies
Professional support staff
- Gemma McCabe - Undergraduate Programmes Coordinator
- Ashley West - Undergraduate Programmes Administrator