Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies
With its multicultural population and Middle Eastern communities, Manchester offers the ideal setting for Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies.
The interest and importance of the Middle East has long been recognised at The University of Manchester where the languages, history, religions, literatures and cultures of the Middle East have been taught for over 100 years.
Teaching is informed by the research of internationally reputed staff with expertise in the fields of contemporary politics, modern and classical history, religious studies, literature, film, and Middle Eastern cultures and societies.
Our courses attract students from a wide variety of cultural and religious backgrounds, cultivating a lively and stimulating working environment.
Past graduates have gone on to work for organisations such as the British Council, Cambridge University Press, Reuters, the BBC, the International Crisis Group, the Ministry of Defence and Amnesty International.
Why Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies at Manchester?
- Study Arabic language from beginner’s level, on its own or alongside a range of other subjects.
- Get a real taste of the Middle East in Manchester’s Asian and Jewish quarters.
- Be part of a close-knit academic community which offers friendly support and teaching.
- Top 10 Middle Eastern Studies departments in the UK by The Times Good University Guide 2016.
- Diverse student population from a variety of cultural and religious backgrounds.
- In-demand expertise and superb employment prospects in a wide range of fields.
Hear from our staff and students
Watch the video below and find out more about Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies at The University of Manchester from staff and students.
Arabic is a beautiful language, and at Manchester we are very fortunate to have excellent academics and be taught in small groups. The course covers all areas of the Arabic language and culture, leaving the student fully equipped and confident to deal with real-life interaction with the Arab world.Azraa Muthy / BA (Hons) French and Arabic
Take a closer look at our Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies courses at The University of Manchester.